I asked Brian what he wanted for his birthday and he said he wanted a deck gate so that his favorite dog could be outside even if the backyard was muddy. So once again, we shook up the house goals. We skipped past the May goal (flexible molding) to one-half of the June goal: building a deck gate. Brian bought the wood and built a plan for the deck gate before he built the flower box. When Young House Love posted a deck gate, I realized this project was easier than I thought it would be. So I took Brian’s plans, measured the gate opening and built the frame myself. We had to adjust for the gate to swing past the handrail. Here I am holding the deck gate in place.
Then I made spacers to match the existing balusters and figured out how far apart the balusters need to be. Then I nailed the balusters in place and waited three whole days until the threat of rain had passed and I could stain the gate. Then I gave it three coats of deck stain and Brian drilled the hinges.
And then we put the gate to the test in its intended purpose: as a doggy gate.
Ella doesn’t push through doors but we are going to figure out a locking mechanism we can live with. And here is the final product open and closed.
I will probably add a piece of wood on top to make it look more finished but for now I’m crossing the doggy
jail gate off the list.